Friday, June 20, 2003

The Hallelujah Man... I was riding my bike up Broadway this afternoon and I saw him again, the Hallelujah Man. He' been a fixture on the upper west side since i moved here in the 70's. Today he was at 97th street handing out trachts and saying God ,God, God, God, God Loves you, God Loves You, God, God, God, to everyone who passed. Usually he just stands on a corner and shouts Halleujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah. He's toned down the volume some from the old days, after some people hasseled him up at 106th street. The Hallelujah man is about 70 now, a slight light skinned black gentleman, always impeccably dressed and wearing a fedora. Today he was dressed in a sharply pressed gray suit, and carried a raincoat. By his accent I would say he's Haitian, one of the remnants of the Haitian community which used to dominate the streets east of Broadway between 97th street and 106th street. His appearences have decreased some since the late 90's perhaps due to age and increasing frailty. I don't mind his shouting, in fact there is something rather reassuring about it now after all these years. Sitting on the couch reading on a rainy night, I'll hear him in the distance shouting Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah over and over again and I'm comforted.

No comments: