Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More plants, more trouble and a trip to Germany. Tomorrow's our big garden fundraiser - a flag day extravagana. As per usual with big enterprises involving cooperation of two or more people at least two or more are not on speaking terms. There's no politics like Garden Politics. Tomorrow it will once again cometogether - and at least 100 people will enter the garden and eat the finest food on earth- contributed by the restaurants of the Upper West Side of New York, and the Vinegar Factory on the east side. The Early Music Ensemble will play high class music and we will honor the parks commissioner, the NY Botanical garden, and the Mayor. Everthing is planted, the pickup and delivery schedule is arranged, tables and chairs delivered! Once it's over I have about three more things to do and then i go off to Berlin for my strangest vacation. My friend Ernest made all the arrangments and got me a companion ticket on Swissair. I have never been to Berlin, or anywhere in the east because when I lived in Germany we had a stamp on our passport that made us part of the occupying force after we got part time jobs with the Americans. So although when I sang in Bayreuth you could literally look over the borders from the train I couldn't travel over there without going through a big deal. This time we're going to stay in the east- Reineckendorf, and travel to Leipzig and Dresdan. [I wonder why people though that when we went into Iraq we would be out of there in a few months. The Seventh Army has been sitting in Germany since 1945. We've been in Korea since 1952. ]

No comments: